Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Educate, Educate, Educate...

I have patient's that I have been seeing for years, some patient's that are completely new to me and to aesthetic treatments all together, and then patient's that aren't new to aesthetics but maybe seeing me for the first time.  One thing is constant among all of these patients...they all need to be educated about aesthetic treatments!  One thing that makes me cringe is when I ask a patient about their aesthetic history, and they tell me they've had filler a handful of times but can't tell me what was used and where.  This is frightening to me that they simply don't remember or worse their treatment provider didn't take the time to explain to them or show them what products they were using in their treatment.  Let's be frank for one second here...if somebody was injecting something into my face, you bet your bum I'm asking what it is, when does it expire, and how many times have you used this product in this area of the face.  Wake up people!  This is your face and not all products are reversible once injected.  I wish I could tell you to rest easy and trust every person that's holding a syringe in their hand but the reality is that you can't and you shouldn't.

To keep it simple, when talking about injectable products you have two categories...dermal fillers and neurotoxins.  Some companies prefer to distinguish their products and set them apart from the others by calling them volumizers or collagen stimulators.  For purposes of keeping it simple, fillers are anything you're using in the dermis or sub-dermis to provide structure and support to an area of volume loss...a space that needs filling.  Neurotoxins, on the other hand, are products injected directly into a muscle to cause a temporary weakening or paralysis to prevent movement of that particular muscle.  For aesthetic purposes, neurotoxins are generally used to keep a facial muscle from moving to prevent lines from forming on the skin above, around, or near this muscle.

The cornerstone to my practice is education...educate myself, educate my patients, and educate other professionals in the field of aesthetics.  We will dive into the different products you have to choose from as a consumer in future posts.  My hope is that I can help educate you and everyone else who is interested in becoming an educated consumer of the aesthetics field.  Until then...ask questions, get answers, and know what your provider is injecting into your face!

No comments:

Post a Comment